23 July 2008

an omelette inspired


button mushroom, originally uploaded by Corey Holms.

The other night I went to the grocery store in the perfect state of hunger -- I wasn't so hungry that I was ravenous, but I was just hungry enough to be inspired by much of what I saw in the store.

I was craving a salad and so bought my usual salad fixings: red leaf lettuce, hothouse cucumber, feta, red wine vinegar, olive oil, splurged on an out-of-season red pepper. Mmmm...

With that in mind and the knowledge that I had both button mushrooms and white cheddar cheese at home, I decided that an omelette would be make a nice, light entree to accompany my salad. I bought thick-cut bacon, some brown eggs, and half a gallon of whole milk and then headed home.

The salad was easily assembled while the omelette was cooking. No problem.

The omelette itself:

  1. Two strips of bacon were cut into 1/2" strips directly into the pan with kitchen shears (this is one of the only thing I actually use kitchen shears for, oddly enough).
  2. While the bacon began to sizzle over medium heat, I sliced (somewhat thinly) 3 or 4 button mushrooms and -- as the fat began to render -- added them to the pan.
  3. I whipped up an egg and 3 egg whites (oh, the waste -- I know -- but it's so much fluffier with whites), added a splash of milk, a touch of water (an old trick from my friend's older brother and master omelette maker), and some s & p. As soon as the mushrooms and bacon were sufficiently cooked, I poured the egg mixture into the pan.
  4. Using the spatula to pull the egg away from the side and allowing the uncooked egg to run underneath it (a trick learned from my brother, of all people), the omelette slowly cooked.
  5. When there was no more egg to run over the side, I covered the pan with a lid for just a minute (to insure the top of the omelette was also cooked -- no slimy, uncooked egg for this eater).
  6. Removing the lid, I grated some white cheddar directly onto the omelette.
  7. I used the spatula to fold the omelette in half while still in the pan and then slide it onto the waiting plate.

Sitting down to eat, I was rewarded with a satisfying and yet relatively light evening meal. I'll have to do this again sometime.

2 comments:

Pat R said...

I'm glad you continue to add posts to this blog from time to time. This sounds yummy, not that I'll ever try it. :) But I still enjoy reading this blog.

Jen said...

It is a little sporadic, isn't it? Guess it's just reflective of my cooking right now. :) Glad you're checking in, though.